Get Back to the Country

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Saturday morning, EARLY spring......

I've had a chance to spend a REALLY pleasant morning.

It's still early March, and we've enjoyed 2 days of 70 degree weather. While this morning is in the low 50's, and cloudy, it still feels very much like spring. The new growth of green grass is showing beneath the tan and beige coat of last year's leftovers. There's a pretty sharp breeze blowing, stirring up the rich aroma of wet, fertile soil.

I've spent a nice, relaxing hour here, sipping coffee and watching the birds come and go at the feeding station outside the front window. The male cardinals began singing their love songs earlier this week, and I can hear one now as he tries so desperately to entice his lady friend. This mixes with the more gentle trill of a red-winged blackbird, one of the prettiest bird sounds I know. The goldfinches are starting to turn really yellow now. They don't visit the feeders too often yet, but are a welcome sight when they do. This morning, I've seen juncos, chickadees, downey woodpeckers, cardinals, and several kinds of sparrows as I've sat here, enjoying my coffee and the start of the day.

I truly do love being back to the country!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home